Tuesday 10 May 2011

Channelled by a Higher Force?...

Today's blog is tomorrows chip wrapping.

I don't make a point of writing this blog, I have no deadlines, and never have to sit down and think, "what on earth can I write about this time". The topic just pops into my head , I sit down and write, a bit like John Ballou Newborough did when he wrote the Oahspe (try searching for that on-line if you've never heard of it). I am of course not claiming that my thoughts are being channelled to me by a higher force as he did; they just sort of appear ready formed, my only task being to convey them here in a semi literate form.

Often my thoughts centre around dog fouling, which makes great conversation over Sunday lunch at my mother in laws. Talking of my mother in law, I have an interesting collection of fake dog poo which I use for educational talks. Oh how we chuckle when I leave a lump of it under the slippers in her bedroom. She falls for it every time, "Oh Willow she cries, you naughty cat, why didn't you ask to go out". I really must get out more. Anyway, today my thoughts are centred around dog ownership.

Owning a dog is great, but not a right. It's a massive responsibility and commitment. The problem is that dogs are easy to get hold of, and therefore anyone can. It's not for me to preach here who should and should not be allowed to own dogs, I have my own views on that one, but as the friendly face of the council will certainly never comment, apart from in general terms. But clearly some people own dogs that I wouldn't trust looking after a pet rock.

The best tip I can give when it comes to dog ownership is to spend time leaning how dogs think. Get to understand their instincts, and how their social grouping has developed over millions of years. DOGS ARE PACK ANIMALS, sorry to shout but that is such an important point. In their mind they are not part of your family, you are all part of the same pack. Don't try to make a dog think like you, they can't learn English. They may learn tone of voice, pitch and body language, but they can't speak. To make a dog do what you want, you must learn "dog", not the other way round. (Yes I know some dogs say "Sausages", but it's not real language).

The pack must have a leader. I don't care who it is, as long as it's not the dog. If your dog sleeps on the bed, lays on the sofa, enters a room before you, pulls on the lead, begs for scraps when you're eating, then the chances are that it is the leader, and is controlling you. Dogs don't need to be leader, but if you allow them to be, they will gladly accept. So, it's simple, make sure the dog understands they are lower in the pack than the family.

In my opinion some of the main points to responsible dog ownership are:
  • Think it though first; don't just buy a dog from a bloke in the pub, or a mate on the spur of the moment.
  • Make sure you are able to give a dog the sort of healthy life style it needs, the top floor flat is probably not a good home for a German Shepherd, for example.
  • Make sure you can afford to get the dog vaccinated, and you can afford ongoing veterinary treatment. It is now an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 not to give any animal necessary veterinary treatment.
  • Make sure the dog can experience a good pack life. Most dogs are not happy being left for hours and hours alone.
  • Make sure you can give a dog enough exercise. Dogs need exercise, if you don't have time to walk them at least daily, don't get one.
  • Don't let your dog cause a nuisance to others, don't let it stray, bark or foul.
  • Always ensure your dog has an ID tag and collar in public places
  • Get your dog micro-chipped.
  • Make sure your dog has basic training, and understands its position in the pack.
  • Make sure you can afford to give it a good diet.
The above are just the tip of the iceberg, if you can't commit to them; don't get a dog, simple.
Do I follow all of the above, you bet your sweet life I do, although my dog does sometimes sit on my lap, or lay beside me on the sofa, it is a treat, and not the norm. (Look, no ones perfect).

On a final note, we took Pup, our Jack Russell, and our young granddaughter for a walk along Shellness beach over the weekend. A lovely time was had by all, except that on the way back we did the usual granddad / granddaughter piggy back stuff. As she is only three, I did the piggy bit while she happily took on the role as back rider. This lasted for about five minutes until boredom took over when she carried on the walk on foot. "What on earth is that all over your white t-shirt" exclaimed the woman who keeps the dog warden sane. Dogs muck had been transferred from granddaughters welly onto granddads white t-shirt, so a really big thank you to the irresponsible thoughtless dog walker who couldn't be bothered to make use of the new dog poo bin at Shellness!

No comments: