Tuesday 10 May 2011

Going Back in Time

Sometimes you do things that put problems into a different perspective, or make you think about things in a different light.

A few weeks ago I spent a very enjoyable evening with the Abbey W.I. (Women's Institute) in Minster. I was there as a guest speaker before you ask or assume otherwise. It was an interesting insight into a world that most men have absolutely no knowledge of, and we had a great time. Whenever I do these talks I deliberately never have a script, just a few key points that I want to get across and sort of make it up as I go. I find this makes for a more interactive chat, and gives me the flexibility to adapt and ad lib depending audience reaction.

The subject inevitably got around to dog fouling, as it always does. Regular readers may notice that I bang on about this topic whenever the opportunity arises, as it is a personal beef of mine. I spoke about how I believe the local communities should help solve this problem by working with the council, and to remember that it's not me that goes around dropping this stuff everywhere, but usually someone living within the local area. I also mentioned that until it becomes universally unacceptable, much like smoking at work or on trains and buses, to allow dogs to foul and not clean up after them, the problem will continue.

One lady however raised an interesting point. She said that although she realises there is still a problem, it's much better now than it was years ago. She could remember a time when it was quite normal to see dogs roaming the streets, often running in packs. Dogs mess on pavements was far worse then, but each house holder, as a matter of course would take responsibility for their own bit of pavement outside of their house, and if affected by dog fouling, would get a bucket of water and simply clean it up.

Although my memories of growing up are clouded by the "long hot summers & clean streets in those days" syndrome, she is absolutely right. I can vividly remember my mother sweeping our bit of pavement at least once a week, polishing the door step, keeping the rain gullies in the pavement clear of dirt and weeds, and simply making sure our house, right up to the road was spotless. Mind you, I can also remember Mr Wood the baker delivering bread, and the National School behind Trinity Church in Sheerness, so I do go back a long way.

I'm not suggesting that we can or should return to those days, and obviously if we did it would be a joint operation between Mrs Dog Warden and myself, "one supervising and one doing", but it does make you think if everyone did their own little bit each week (I am sure many people already do), what a difference it would make to the whole borough.

No comments: