Tuesday 10 May 2011

The Things You See When You've Got a Dog

Goodness me, it’s been a while since I penned my last blog. Things have been rather busy, so although I’ve had lots to talk about, finding the odd five minutes to sit down and compose this twaddle, sorry informative information, has been a little difficult. Anyway, we are back by popular demand, so let’s get underway & see what happens.

I was going to chat about the whole “dog is for life, not just Christmas” thing, but remembered that I covered the subject fully in Blog 2 and to be honest, I don’t think I could better that well crafted and may I say rather amusing piece (in other words, I can’t be bothered to think up a new way of talking about it!)

What I will talk about this time is Star Fish. Nature is a wonderful, but strange thing. While walking our dog last Sunday on Shellness beach I was amazed to see hundreds of Star Fish being washed up on the shore line. Now you would expect to see the odd one or two as you stroll from Muswell Manor to the Hamlet, but not the vast quantity we witnessed being washed up with the flotsam & jetsam. A year or so back, we noticed the same thing with Cuttlefish bones, and also large quantities of cockles, spread over the beaches like vast sand dunes, certainly welly boot deep. So the question is, what is it that causes these apparent mass Echinoderm beachings? Is it self inflicted, or the result of some man made problem, muscle bed trawling perhaps, or maybe a sudden drop in sea temperature? If anyone knows please enlighten me.

So what’s this got to do with dogs then? Well I’m glad you asked, you see if I hadn’t been exercising our dog (responsible dog ownership) I would never have seen this quirk of nature. Although dogs are a huge responsibility, the benefits they give us far out way the draw backs. They enrich our lives in so many ways, for example, over the average life of a dog, if you walk your dog just two miles a day you will have walked a total of 10220 miles. Having said that, your dog will also have excreted roughly 1020kg of dog mess, so remember to take your doggie bags with you, and dispose of the contents in an appropriate manner. By the way, if those two things don’t come naturally to you, the walking and clearing up of the mess bits, then please buy a goldfish or some other less taxing companion.

I’ve spoken about this many times, and probably will many times more, dogs don’t cause problems, it’s the owners, so if you have a dog at home, sorry, it’s your responsibility to ensure the dog doesn’t do anything that can have an adverse effect on other people. For example, if next doors fence blows down in the wind, it’s still up to you to make sure your dog cannot escape from your property. If you’re out walking your dog on these dark evenings, it’s your responsibility to make sure you have a torch with you so you can see where the dog does it’s doodoo’s, and clear up after it. After all, it’s not that difficult to be responsible is it?

As a quick footnote, although I’ve only just restarted the “dog blog”, this is probably the last one in this format. From January the new “super dog blog” should be up and running, so watch this space.

No comments: