Tuesday 10 May 2011

Chips with everything

I love chips, no it's true and in my opinion the perfect chip has to be made properly. Firstly it's important to select the correct potato. I won't mention any names as I don't want to appear to be promoting any particular brand or type. What I want is a nice floury spud, peeled and par boiled for a few minutes (until you can see the starch bubbling), drained well, straight into hot sunflower oil, and cooked until crispy and golden, fantastic!

Not that I've had them for years of course, I well remember the day when, with the onslaught of my way past middle age spread, the lady who keeps the dog warden sane despatched the deep fat fryer to that vast recycling centre in the sky. We do, as a special treat sometimes have oven chips, but they're not the same, they taste sort of fake. I've never tried the ones that get 'nuclearfied' in the microwave, after all, a microwave is just for defrosting frozen food and cooking jacket potatoes isn't it, but the day may come when I get converted to micro chips.

Let's hope the same applies to all you dog owners. See how I did that, no one saw that coming did they! Yes dear reader, identification chips for dogs is on my mind today.  I really think it's a no brainer, if you own a dog get it micro-chipped. It's a simple cheap process, stays with your dog for life, and allows us to quickly identify the owner of a stray dog and return it to the owner.

It is a legal requirement for a dog to wear a collar and tag with contact details when in a public place, but if a dog escapes from a garden etc the chip is always with it. It's all part of responsible dog ownership ensuring your dog can be clearly identified if it ever gets lost or even stolen. As part of our ongoing, proactive campaigns to deal with dog problems, we are planning some special dog chipping events across the borough this year, so watch this space, check the local papers or look at our website where all will be revealed in due course.

However, in the meantime what would happen if your loving pooch went missing with no ID or micro chip. You may never see it again!!! If making sure your dog is micro-chipped and easily identifiable is too much bother, perhaps owning a dog is not for you. You might be better off just following the guidelines at the top of this blog, and sitting down in front of the telly tucking into a big plate of chippie chip chips instead.

No comments: